Indebted (Part 1)

"Today is 22 September 2021"

It's finally the dreaded day. Dreaded not because it is horrendous, but because it is painful, beautifully painful.

It has been a wild 12 week ride. I sat waiting , every Wednesday, eagerly, for whenever the next episode would drop, usually at 12 am Japanese Standard Time. The 20 something minutes of joy I recieved was second to none. Enjoyable, funny, cute, and sometimes demurely touching in on more serious topics like drifting away from family, the resolve of a lone struggler and societal pressure, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S, has certainly lived up to the high standards that the previous season had set.

However, this is a more personal post, not a review of the show, because I'm aware of the heavy bias I have, in favour of it.

I remember watching the first episode of the original season - Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - on a car trip I was on with my family. 
It was a long, tiring 12 hour ride with five people and all the luggage stuffed into a small car. 

And I was in bad spirits.

I had just given a major examination in my life, and it went, at best, sub-par to the expectations I had had. Already wallowing in my self induced misery (that came from being a stupid ass and not practicing enough), I didn't get time to mourn the outcome of the sordid performance. The cramped car trip followed immediately after the exam, because, we had to get back to our hometown, and back to business.

The car rattled and for the first few hours, it was pleasant. The person driving the car was lost in his own train of thoughts, with all other available attention directed on the highway. All the people beside me were asleep, fatigue making them resilient to the uncomfortable space. So essentially, it was me alone, left to admire the sprawling fields rushing by outside the window. Some fields had an electric tower in the midst of them, and the iron beams in them were arranged in a mesmerizing pattern of crosses that , for some strange reason, made me tear up. It was a marvel of engineering to me, and a rare sight in the small town I lived in.

After a few hours however, the paradise was left behind and we entered city areas. Filth, cacophony, and unbridled commotion, it started to get to my nerves. I tried to sleep, but sleep evades the wretched and miserable, because sleep is a cruel mistress like that. 

That was when I came across the first episode of the show, and decided to give it a try.

And things have never been the same since then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Oyasumi Punpun is a masterpiece beyond words

Habits (Part 4)